Πέμπτη, 15 Μαΐου 2008

ΜΕΡΙΚΑ ΣΤΟΙΧΕΙΑ ΓΙΑ ΤΗ ΧΡΥΣΑΦΑ

Από το βιβλίο του Γιάννη Λαμπρινάκου
« Η Χρύσαφα Λακωνίας»

Η ευρύτερη περιοχή της Χρύσαφας έχει κατοικηθεί για χιλιάδες χρόνια, στην ουσία από τη Νεολιθική Εποχή. Η Αγγλική Αρχαιολογική Σχολή που έκανε έρευνες γύρω από το χωριό κατά τη δεκαετία του 1980, μας παρέχει έναν απίστευτα μακρύ κατάλογο με τοποθεσίες όπου βρέθηκαν ίχνη ιερών, μικρών οικισμών και άλλων αρχαίων εγκαταστάσεων. Για τη μακρόχρονη παρουσία ανθρώπων στην περιοχή συνηγορούν και τα πολλά αρχαιόθετα τοπωνύμια που διασώζονται μέχρι σήμερα. Τέτοια είναι τα:
Κούνος, Φαγιάς, Βωμός, Μεγαλίμνα, Καστόρι, Πολυζεύι και άλλα. Οι λέξεις αυτές είναι η μεγάλη απόδειξη οτι ο τόπος κατοικήθηκε συνέχεια από την αρχαιότητα. Αλλιώς, αν είχε δηλαδή υπάρξει διακοπή, θα είχανε ξεχαστεί.
Ο οικισμός φαίνεται να έχει χτισθεί στην παρούσα θέση πριν χίλια περίπου χρόνια, λόγω της ύπαρξης πηγής (Άγιο-Θανάσης). Προηγήθηκε παλαιότερα άλλη θέση πιο νότια κοντά στην Παναγία τη Χρυσαφίτισσα και σε αρχαία και προχριστιανικά χρόνια ο οικισμός βρισκότανε ακόμα νοτιότερα στη θέση Πικρομυγδαλιά.
Την ίδρυση του σημερινού χωριού πρέπει να αναζητήσουμε εν τούτοις πολύ αργότερα στα μεσαιωνικά χρόνια. Πιστεύω ότι οι λόγοι που έγινε η βαθμιαία μεταφορά του χωριού ήτανε η στρατηγική θέση στο λόφο του Αγίου Δημητρίου και η ύπαρξη πηγής (Αγιοθανάσης) κοντά στο χωριό.

Στις αρχές του 17ου αιώνα (1600) η Χρύσαφα βρίσκεται σε πλήρη άνθιση. Οι δύο εκκλησίες μέσα στο χωριό ο Άγιο-Δημήτρης και η Παναγία καθώς και άλλες μικρότερες (Ο Άγιος Νικόλαος και ο Άγιος Γεώργιος) χτίζονται αυτά τα χρόνια προδίδοντας ευημερία και πλούτο. Την ίδια εποχή ιδρύονται και τα μοναστήρια της περιοχής : του Προδρόμου Ιωάννου στο Συντζάφι, των Αγίων Αναργύρων, και των Αγίων Τεσσαράκοντα.
Αυτή η μεγάλη ακμή του δέκατου έβδομου αιώνα της Χρύσαφας, σβήνει απότομα μετά την αποτυχία του Ορλωφικού κινήματος 1769 στο οποίο είχανε πάρει μέρος και Χρυσαφίτες με αρχηγούς τους Γιαννάκη Κρεββατά και Αναγνώστη Ναύτη. Φοβούμενοι οι Χρυσαφίτες την εκδίκηση των τουρκαλβανών διαφεύγουν στην Ύδρα με την οποία είχανε δεσμούς.

Στη νέα τους πατρίδα προόδευσαν εκ νέου οι Χρυσαφίτες σε σημείο που η οικονομική τους κατάσταση τους επέτρεψε να προσφέρουν πολλά στην Επανάσταση. Το νέο ελληνικό κράτος σε αναγνώριση αυτών των υπηρεσιών τιμάει τη Χρύσαφα κάνοντάς την πρωτεύουσα του Δήμου Θεραπνών. Για να κατανοηθεί η σημασία της Χρύσαφας, ''Ενδοξοτάτης Χώρας'' όπως αναφέρεται σε παλαιότερα έγγραφα, σημειώνουμε οτι ο πρώτος επίσημος χάρτης της Ελλάδος στην περιοχή της Λακωνίας εμφανίζει μόνο το Μιστρά και τη Χρύσαφα. Τίποτε άλλο.

A Short history of the village of Chrysafa in English

Chrysafa is a village that lies on the western slopes of mount Parnon of Lakonia. It is situated at about 13 kilometres west of Sparta and it is built at an altitude of about 550 meters.

The general area of Chrysafa has been inhabited for thousands of years, actually since Neolithic times. We have a long list of sites which were studied by the British School of Archaeology. Certain place names date from Doric times. These are: Kounos, meaning Cone, Fagias which means a place full of oaks, and others. Even Homer mentions a couple of water places that lie not far from Chrysafa. At a place called Pikromigdalia, a relatively recent name with no connection to the antiquity of the place, a visitor can see the remnants of a whole archaic habitation site. Mycenaean in atmosphere, protected by the great hill of the Cone from the East, looking at the valley of The Great Lake to the west, it fills the visitor with a strange felling of awe. The first compact center of habitation was established on this hill. Over the centuries the nucleus of the village gradually moved to the north. In Byzantine times, which lasted roughly a thousand years, it moved to its present position because of the strategic position of the site plus access to water.

Chrysafa history naturally follows that of Sparta and the Peloponnese. Sometime in the sixth and seventh centuries following some terrible epidemic which greatly reduced the local indigenous population Slavic nomadic tribes came to the area and to other mountain p;aces of Laconia to live peacefully. Over the years they mixed with the locals and after some centuries they became Hellenised and Christianised. In the 13th century they built the churches of Hrisafitisssa and a bit later St. John and a few others. Just half a century before the Turks, Albanians were brought over by the Byzantine Emperor to fortify the population. Some of the latter united with the locals and we assume these to be our ancestors,

It is on the beginning of 17th century that Chrysafa starts to blossom. Both churches in the village, that of St. Demetrius and Panagia were constructed around the first quarter of 1600.Smaller chapels that of St. Nicholas and St. Georgios as well as the monasteries of St. Forties and St. John in Sintzafi were also built during this period. In 1685 during a short period of Venetian rule Chrysafa was the capital of a wide area, comprising more than 40 villages, extending from Asea outside of Tripolis to Zarax. Chrysafa itself has 400 inhabitants. We can imagine the comercial ties with Mistra, Monemvasia and Geraki. Thousands of sheep and goats feed on the Hrisafa hills. Oil, silk and honey are produced. A cistern for water is built in 1704. Learned men devote themselves to the nearby monasteries. In 1769, Chrysafa men take part in the Resurrection of Orlof which proved disastrous for the Peloponnese and for our village. Our ancestors gather their belongings and escape to Hydra. They started early in the evening morning found them in Galata
goes the song. They run away to the independent island of Hydra to escape the retaliation by the Turks. The Hrisafites prosper on this island becoming successful marine merchants, contributing generously to the War of Independence.

In 1805, the English spy Martin Leake who passes from Chrysafa on his way to Mistra, keeping an open eye for ancient coins and collecting all kinds of information, finds Chrysafa sadly deserted. “…only a few huts and the old ruins attest to the glorious past of this town” he writes.

After the war of independence and the establishment of the new nation of Greece, Chrysafa, was honored for its contribution to the war and the village awarded special status. In 1830, Chrysafa again becomes the center of the surrounding villages, the capital of the municipality of Therapni, the archaic name of the general area. Wealthy Chrisafites return from Hydra and build impressive houses. The village again finds prosperity but only for a while. Immigration mainly to the United States, but also to Spirit and Athens as well as the devastating effects of two wars, put the village again on the decline. Today the village has a diminishing population… However, the improved road to Sparta, the good climate, the slow but long appreciation of Chrysafa’ s historic past and architectural and ecclesiastical inheritance make us hope that there is a future for this old town.